Sunday 4 October 2015

Doctor Who Series 9 Episode 3 review - Under the Lake


It’s time for Moffatt to explore a more horror element, and this is where he tends to excel, are we in for something interesting here.


I’ll start off with what I don’t like. Clara’s as an adrenaline junkie. Just no, there hasn’t been that much of an indication that this has happened before now, so you just expect me to believe it occurred out of thin air. Moffatt, make sure the character arcs are consistent (in fairness, Russell T Davies wasn’t great at this either)

Then we have character writing, an area Mofatt isn’t great at. In this one we have the deaf girl, the other girl, the greedy businessman who dies, the translator, the black man who dies (just in case you thought that horror trope was dead) and… pretty sure there’s at least one more but I can’t remember anything about him.

So, what’s the plot. “Ghosts” are appearing in an abandoned military state that’s also a nuclear reactor that was flooded a few years back. Everyone who is killed comes back as a ghost. And they’re proceeding to try and kill the crew. The Doctor arrives and hijinks follow as the ghosts are clever with their plan to something and something to something and something… Well, let’s see if we get those answers next week.

The episode is great at establishing its atmosphere, the plotting is well done, the revelations are interesting and it’s got me intrigued for the next episode. And it’s got some genuinely scary moments

Kudos for having a deaf woman without her having some super psychic mumbo-jumbo bullsh*t attached to her.

I honestly don’t have much more to say, for the most part I really enjoyed this episode and I look forward to next week’s resolution. (Sorry my review is so short, I honestly have little else to say)

Rating 8/10

For more reviews click here

Images used in this review are from Doctor Who and belong to their respective owners. All images in this review are subject to fair use

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment, whether you agree or disagree with my opinions, and you're perfectly welcome to. Please be considerate