Saturday 12 March 2016

Legends of Tomorrow Episode 8 review - Night of the Hawk


Legends of Tomorrow is about to undergo a mid-season break, in the mean time you can check out my thoughts on episode 8 right now

Night of the Hawk

So, prejudice existed in the 1950s… Who knew?

Yeah… that’s my big take away from this episode. So… the plot

Vandal is using Nth metal meteors to turn people into were-hawks as part of his own personal army, he’s doing this… for some reason. The team arrive and split off, Kendra and Ray have to face the prejudices of pretending to be a married couple in the 1950s, Sara and Martin infiltrate a hospital and Rip and Leonard pretend to be police officers again for some reason.

Yeah, in case you were wondering, I did not like this episode, and my problems are 3-fold. When you handle prejudice in something like this, you’re either going to be subtle (Agent Carter, eventually) or you’re going to hammer it into our heads until it hurts, Legends of Tomorrow is very much the latter.

The second is I don’t buy Ray and Kendra as a couple at all. They do not have chemistry together so even with their over-protectiveness subplot, it’s just something I don’t care enough about to be invested in.

The third is still my dislike of Vandal Savage. Vandal Savage to me is smart and intimidating, this version of the character is not really either. He’s obsessive, quick to violence, compulsive, spewing cr*p about destiny when a character of his age should know better. It’s nice to get back the main “plot” bit it’s spinning its wheels so much I wonder why they bothered bringing him back at all

Actually I have a fourth problem, Chronos is just bland at this point. I know I’m hearing people saying it might actually be Mick Rory, and that would actually be an interesting development for his character after being left behind in the last episode (I kinda expected there to be some aftermath to that but whatever) but it wouldn’t hurt to establish something about him because right now he’s more of a plot device to get from point A to point B

OK, so is there anything I did like, well actually, yes, Sara’s subplot with her falling in love with a woman from the era was handled a bit better and helped advance Sara’s character arc with her starting to feel more emotion other than bloodlust. And I like how Leonard is hurting from having to abandon Mick wherever he did that.

Rating 6/10

For updates and exclusive extras click here to like my Facebook page

For more reviews click here

Images/clips used in this review are from DC's Legends of Tomorrow and belong to their respective owners. All images/clips in this review are subject to fair use

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment, whether you agree or disagree with my opinions, and you're perfectly welcome to. Please be considerate